Outdoor Movies 2015 – Where and When to Watch
What?! Outdoor movies? Where?!
One of the greatest summer past times of Washington, DC and the metropolitan area is coming back again! Outdoor movies 2015 are about to kick off, and I wanted to share where and when you can watch them.
If you love being outside during the warm months, love watching movies, and love having picnics with friends and family then you’re in luck! You can do all of that them at once. Outdoor movies 2015 run throughout the summer, at several venues. From family-friendly feel-goods, to nostalgia-inducing classics, there’s films for every taste. If you haven’t gone yet, you’re really missing out. The experience is well worth it and the venues are usually very easily accessible. For instance, films are even shown just a block away from our office, which is also right off of the Dupont Circle Metro Station. They’re usually played after normal working hours too. Bring your own food, drinks, blankets, friends and family for an even more enjoyable experience, or watch them by yourself if that’s more your thing. Either way, the movies are usually great, the weather is usually nice, and you’re likely to have a good time.
Let’s get to the venues and showtimes!
It’s showtime! Well, almost. Below are the venues, the movies, and the showtimes of some of the more prominent venues of outdoor movies 2015, taking place in and around our beautiful city:
Screen on the Green: One of my favorite outdoor movie venues (right on the National Mall!) draws one of the largest crowds of movie goers every summer. This could be party because of the amazing movies they have every year. They always play them at sunset, making an already awesome experience even better by the beautiful crepuscular light show, displayed majestically on our national monuments and our United States Capitol Building. Here’s a map of where to be.Without further ado, I present to you, the movies playing this year for Screen on the Green 2015:
- The Karate Kid – (Riding the nostalgia train.) Playing on July 21st at sunset.
- Lover Come Back – Playing on July 28th at sunset.
- Key Largo – Playing on August 4th at sunset.
- A Soldier’s Story – Playing on August 11th at sunset.
Capitol Riverfront Outdoor Movie Series: People’s Choice: A beautiful outdoor movies 2015 venue, very close to the Navy Yard Metro station. This venue is boasting an impressive list of awesome movies. Some old, but mostly new. Here’s where to go.
The movies begin at sunset as usual, but they recommend getting there at round 7pm, to ensure you have a spot. Here’s the film list:
- Back to the Future – Playing on June 4th at sunset.
- Selma – Playing on June 11th at sunset.
- The Princess Bride – (I do not think that word means what you think it means.) Playing on June 18th at sunset.
- Rush Hour – Playing on June 25th at sunset.
- Independence Day – (Appropriately) Playing on July 2nd at sunset.
- Bring it On – Playing on July 9th at sunset.
- LEGO Movie – Playing on July 16th at sunset.
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – Playing on July 23rd at sunset.
- Big Hero 6 – Playing (warming our hearts) on July 30th at sunset.
- Pitch Perfect – (Sing along!) Playing on August 6th at sunset.
- The Goonies – (Get your “truffle shuffle” on!) Playing on August 13th at sunset.
- Guardians of the Galaxy – (Talking raccoon? What?!) Playing on August 20th at sunset.
- To Kill a Mocking Bird – (Classic!) Playing on August 27th at sunset.
- The Sounds of Music – Playing on September 3rd at sunset.
Plenty to do after the movies as well! Here’s the outdoor movies 2015 at Adams Morgan Movie Nights:
- The LEGO Movie – (Great for kids!) Playing on May 19th a little after sunset.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – (A timeless classic.) Playing on May 26th a little after sunset.
- Bicycle Thief – (They need the bike!) Playing on June 2nd a little after sunset.
- Rich Hill – (A Sundance film) Playing on June 9th a little after sunset.
- Whiplash – (Attention Parents: This film contains mature language.) Playing on June 16th a little after sunset.
- There is a rain date scheduled for June 23rd, in case one of the movies is rained out.
Dupont Circle: Cinema in the Circle: Dupont Circle is a great venue. Starbucks, Kramer Books, burger shops with brew, and metro accessible. There’s just one film playing here, but it looks like a good one. Here’s where to find it.As you can see, it’s right near us! Here’s the film with it’s showtime:
- A League of Their Own – Playing on June 20th at sunset.
Washington City Paper Summer Cinema Movie Series at the Brewmaster’s Castle: Unfortunately, the showtimes are not up yet for this venue. However, I can tell you that in the past it has been in July. The film is set up in a beautiful garden behind the historic house, and is a great place to see outdoor movies 2015. I went last year and brought my fiancée, a bottle of wine, and a blanket, and watched Casablanca. It was awesome! Keep an eye out for more information here. You can follow them on Twitter as well for up to the minute updates. Here’s where it would be though.
Golden Cinema in the Golden Triangle: Smack dab in the middle of the gorgeous Golden Triangle BID is the Golden Cinema outdoor movies 2015. A beautiful park (Farragut Park) next to 2 different metro stations for easy access. This year the Golden Cinema is going by the theme “All Worked Up”, featuring movies centered around characters that are on the job. Clever theme, seeing how the Golden Triangle BID is one of the most work-centric areas in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Here’s where to go.The cool-factor is only added to with the fact that it’s just blocks away from the White House. Each night the movies are playing share this time-frame: 7:30pm – 10pm, every Friday, from May 22-July 31st, 2015. Here’s what’s playing:
- Empire Records – (If you dress up in some 90’s style clothes, and bring a picture of yourself taken in the 90’s, you are eligible for a prize!) Playing on May 22 at around 7:30pm.
- The Devil Wears Prada – Playing May 29th at around 7:30pm.
- Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy – (Will Ferrell at his best!) Playing on June 5th at around 7:30pm.
- The Social Network – (Facebook origins story.) Playing on June 12th at around 7:30pm.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade – (I’m not entirely sure how this works with the theme…but, it’s a great movie!) Playing on June 19th at around 7:30pm.
- Hook – (See my parenthetical quandary above…) Playing on June 26th at around 7:30pm.
- Nine to Five – (All about work!) Playing on July 10th at around 7:30pm.
- Miss Congeniality – Playing on July 17th at around 7:30pm.
- Italian Job – (Modern thieves, working hard.) Playing on July 24th at around 7:30pm.
- The Wedding Planner – (Never seen, but I assume it’s about planning a wedding…maybe.) Playing on July 31st at around 7:30pm.
Well, those are not all of the outdoor movies 2015 venues but most of the good ones that I’ve personally been to. To see a full (?) list of the other movie spots and showtimes, check out this site.
I hope this helps expand your “Summer Activities List”, and I hope you enjoy yourself at some of these awesome spots to see great films.
ALSO!! I wanted to let you know that these are all free to attend. Yeah, it’s awesome. Go see some outdoor movies 2015!
Stay healthy my friends.